Date: Thursday 7th July 2022
Time: 10am to 4pm
Location: University of Birmingham, Murray Learning Centre, Room LC-UG10
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/uSr6VZm9muyhQqX47
Host: Ed (Andrew) Edmondson
Confirm your in-person attendance, dietary requirements and any topics for the agenda on this form: https://forms.gle/aH2Si3RnFwr1qFQWA For remote attendance, just let me know by email so I can send the link to you.
We’d love to see you in person but we understand if some people need to attend remotely. We’ll be setting something up to involve those people. Please let me know directly if you need to be included in that provision. (c.wyatt at soton.ac.uk)
10:00 – Refreshments
10:30 – Welcome & Update on Birmingham Research Software Group – Ed (Andrew) Edmondson
11:00 – Update on the Conference & RSE Leaders meeting – Claire Wyatt (RSE Community Manager, Software Sustainability Institute)
11:20 – Roundtable Discussion Session 1
- What is an RSE? What is different and what is common for an RSE in industry, within a university and within a government research facility.
- RSE Recruitment, Retention and Sustainability
12:30 – Lunch
14:00 – Roundtable Discussion Session 2
Split into groups to discuss specific topics and/or to plan future workshops on these topics.
Refreshments available at 15:00.
- RSE-PI Agreement Plan
- Dealing with institutional inertia
- Funded vs Free
- Getting buy-in and support from stakeholders
- Engaging with researchers
- RSE Skills Matrix and Career Progression
- Extending and enhancing training provision
- Different software engineering processes (agile, formal, etc)
- Any other suggestions?
16:00 – Close meeting