The Society of Research Software Engineering represents Research Software Engineers and the practice of Research Software Engineering both in the UK and worldwide. It is important that we maintain proper use of our trademarks, in order that members of our community are able to recognise the involvement of the Society in an activity, and in order that we maintain a consistent public image.
Our trademarks are:
- The “Society of Research Software Engineering”, “Society of RSE”, “Society-RSE” and “SocRSE” wordmarks
- The plum RSE ‘speech bubble’ logo and plum square RSE logo
You may use without specific, written permission these trademarks of the Society of Research Software Engineering to truthfully refer to:
- The Society of Research Software Engineering
- An event or programme which belongs to the Society of Research Software Engineering or with which it is affiliated or endorses
- A social media account or page which belongs to the Society of Research Software Engineering, or with which it is affiliated
- An online community which belongs to the Society of Research Software Engineering or with which it is affiliated
Using the RSE Speech bubble Logo
Additionally, the plum RSE ‘speech bubble’ logo and plum square RSE logo are in use by other national or regional groups with similar interests and may be used under similar conditions to truthfully refer to those groups, their events or programmes, or events or programmes with which they are affiliated. For further guidance here you may wish to contact these groups directly.
For Regional RSE Groups in the UK, the current guidance is ‘Groups are free to use the logo as long as they keep the colours, main design, remove the words “Society of Research Software Engineering” and add their own group’s name e.g. “Bristol”, “Nordic” to distinguish it from the original trademark.’
All other uses of a Society of Research Software Engineering trademark require prior specific, written permission. Please contact us at [email protected] for more information or to request permission for a different use.
When using our trademarks under an allowed use (either with or without specific, written permission)
- Use the trademarks exactly as shown above.
- Provide adequate spacing around our trademarks, so as not to confuse them with other elements.
- Use our trademarks in a way which implies affiliation with or endorsement by the Society of Research Software Engineering where this is not the case.
- Display our trademarks more prominently than the name of the entity being referred to.
- Use our trademarks on merchandise for sale or any other form of commercial use.
- Modify, differently abbreviate or combine our trademarks with other elements.