The Society of Research Software Engineering is a professional society established to further research software engineering for the benefit of research and the wider society.
Becoming a member of the Society will support our work gaining recognition for research software engineering and helping advance research with software.
Membership of the Society is open to anyone who is interested in furthering the Society’s goals.
The Society took over in 2019 the role of the successful, but informal, UK RSE Association in representing the RSE community. We hope that members and supporters of the UK RSE Association will continue to join us as full members of the Society of Research Software Engineering.
The Society’s website and Slack community are provided as a service for all and will continue to be available without any form of registration with the Society.
- Support the work of the Society to further research software engineering
- Are eligible to apply for Events & Initiatives funding from the Society, and other financial support
- Have the opportunity for reduced fees for the Society annual conference
- Have the opportunity for early registration to any future Society professional and networking events
- Are eligible to vote in Society decisions, such as electing trustees or changing the constitution
- Are eligible to stand for election as a trustee
- Are eligible to volunteer or be nominated for working groups or committees that the trustees may establish
- Can get discounts on certain PCs and laptops from Dell UK (UK-based members only)
- Can apply to be a mentee in the Society’s mentoring scheme
Members of the Society
The current cost of a year’s membership is £20.
The fee covers membership for a full calendar year from the date of payment. A recurring annual payment will be set up that can be cancelled at any time and membership will lapse on the anniversary of the last payment date.
How to join
Please see our policies page for information about membership terms, our code of conduct and data handling procedures, then visit membership our registration site and fill in the form:
You can opt-in to the Society mailing list to receive periodic email updates about events and community news.
If you have questions or issues, you can ask in the #socRSE-membership slack channel or email us at [email protected]
IMPORTANT – How to edit your membership details
In order to manage your membership details, such as contact details and communication preferences, you will also need to create an account on WhiteFuse.
Beyond becoming a member, you can get involved in other ways.
Anyone can sign up to be added to our mailing list for Society announcements and a periodic digest of RSE-related news, consultations, events and jobs.
Joining the mailing list only does not make you a member of the Society of Research Software Engineering and has no fees. Emails will be managed by the Society with no direct access for third parties to send messages.
The Society has an active Slack workspace for members and non-members – if you are from a pre-approved institution you can join the Slack here. Alternatively, you can request access to the Slack via this Google form.
Terms and conditions
There are some policies that apply to anyone involved with the Society as a member, mailing list subscriber, or through taking part in our events, activities or online platforms. Details of our terms of membership, code of conduct and data handling policy can be found on our policies page.
If you would like to cancel your membership, please email our membership team at [email protected]. Pressing “Delete my account” in White Fuse does not cancel your membership.